Title: Girls Soundtrack, Volume 1: Music from the HBO series
Lyrics, Voice, Mix, etc.:
Aside from a couple of frenetic songs, most of the songs on this soundtrack are slow and calm. In Vampire Weekend’s I’m Going Down, we find a slow and upbeat tune. The Jenny Lewis single Completely Not Me is a pleasant and melodic tune. Finally, Wonderwall by Oasis is the cornerstone of the entire soundtrack. The mix and the lyrics complement each other very well.
Artist: Soundtrack, various artists
Label: Atlantic, 2014
Non-book identifiers: ASIN: B00JK32PCY
Ideas for talking about other materials to YA audiences: Listen to a song’s lyrics. How do you interpret them? What do you think the songwriter is trying to say with the song?
Curriculum: songwriting, creative writing
Interest Level: 16+
Listener’s annotation: Girls soundtrack is here, and it is full of slow hits including Wonderwall by Oasis.
Challenge Issues: explicit lyrics
- Library Selection Policy
- Rationale explaining why the item was chosen for the collection
- Active listening skills
- Reconsideration form (as a last resort)
- National Council of Teachers of English “Right to Read”
- Positive and negative reviews: expert, parent, student
- ALA Strategies and Tips for Dealing with Challenges to Library Materials
- ALA Bill of Rights on Intellectual Freedom
- Books and other library resources should be provided for the interest, information, and enlightenment of all people of the community the library serves. Materials should not be excluded because of the origin, background, or views of those contributing to their creation.
- Libraries should provide materials and information presenting all points of view on current and historical issues. Materials should not be proscribed or removed because of partisan or doctrinal disapproval.
Why did you pick this for your collection?
- popular music in demand with young adults