Title: Out of Darkness
Author: Ashley Hope Perez
Publisher: Carolrhoda Lab TM, 2015
About the author: from Amazon.com
Ashley Hope Pérez is the author of three award-winning novels for young adults. Her most recent, OUT OF DARKNESS, received a 2016 Printz honor for excellence in young adult literature and the 2016 Tomás Rivera Book Award. THE NEW YORK TIMES called it a “layered tale of color lines, love and struggle” where “a tragedy, real and racial, swallows us whole.” Ashley is an assistant professor of world literatures at The Ohio State University and lives in Columbus with her husband and two sons. Visit her online at http://www.ashleyperez.com and on Facebook and Twitter (@ashleyhopeperez).
Genre— historical fiction
“Genre:Historical fiction; Multiple perspectives
Curriculum Ties— diversity, historical fiction,
Reading Level/Interest Age—
- Library Selection Policy
- Rationale explaining why the item was chosen for the collection
- Active listening skills
- Reconsideration form (as a last resort)
- National Council of Teachers of English “Right to Read”
- Positive and negative reviews: expert, parent, student
- ALA Strategies and Tips for Dealing with Challenges to Library Materials
- ALA Bill of Rights on Intellectual Freedom
- Books and other library resources should be provided for the interest, information, and enlightenment of all people of the community the library serves. Materials should not be excluded because of the origin, background, or views of those contributing to their creation.
- Libraries should provide materials and information presenting all points of view on current and historical issues. Materials should not be proscribed or removed because of partisan or doctrinal disapproval.
Why did you pick this for your collection?
- Américas Book Award for Children’s and Young Adult Literature
- School Library Journal Best Books: 2015
- Tomas Rivera Mexican American Children’s Book Award
- YALSA Best Fiction for Young Adults: 2016